Bed bugs are a problem in homes, hotels and other hospitality type businesses and the best option for getting rid of bed bugs is to call in a professional. If you are dealing with bedbugs in your business that is something that can very quickly affect your reputation for a long time so acting quickly and choosing the most effective option is essential. But there are other options if you are dealing with a home infestation and want to try them. There are also things you can that prevent them. Here is a closer look at correctly identifying the pest problem you have and some of those treatment and prevention options.
Identifying the pest
Before you start looking up means of removing bed bugs, you need to make sure that this is the pest you are dealing with. If you have not seen anything but you are dealing with what you think are bed bug bites, you could be mistaking them with flea bites or mosquito bites. After all, because of their nocturnal nature bed bugs are hard to see. During the day they hide in dark places and small cracks close to where they normally feed, usually a bed. Take a look at different bites and see what yours matches.
Choose your method of getting rid of bed bugs
As mentioned you have two main options to seek professional help or to try a DIY approach. In most cases, the professional pest control business can do a better job, but of course, you do have to pay for the expertise. Doing it yourself can take longer and you need to keep up all of your efforts. You also need to know the kind of spots bed bugs hide in and how they spread to really have any effect on the infestation.
Home bed bugs treatment
If you do decide to first try treatment efforts yourself here are the kind of steps you need to take. They might help you control the problem but they may not completely eliminate them.
- Make a very careful inspection – While you need to inspect the whole bed, in particular, you should look at the seams of the mattress, the headboard, the bed frame and under the rug or carpet nearby, and any cracks in the walls and in any furniture near to the bed like an armchair, or bedside table for example.
- Wash at a high temperature – When you strip off the bedding you need to wash that at a high temperature for a long cycle. Preferably at least 60℃ for 90 minutes.
- Dry at a high temperature – Once the bedding is washed at a high temperature you should then dry it at a high temperature too for at least 30 minutes.
- Use the vacuum cleaner – You can use a vacuum cleaner on the mattress on all sides of it as well as all around the bed and use it with the hose attachments on walls, skirting boards and such nearby.
- Use over the counter pest control methods – Along with the flooring, edges of the walls and such you can also find some store-bought pest control options that can help.
Choosing a professional pest control service
If you are having problems with bed bug bites whether you are finding them annoying or possibly even distressing if it is your children being bit, then the most effective action is to find expert pest controllers to help. They know where to look, what methods to use and can also advise you on how to prevent future problems once the infestation is dealt with. Most offer a range of treatment options that means whatever cycle the bed bugs are in, they are found and destroyed. To get the best experts you need to find the best company that offers a high level of competence, have the training and are happy to answer questions about anything from methods used to health and safety concerns.
What to look for in your pest control professional
Some key criteria for your bed bugs treatment experts are;
- A license and certification – Make sure they have the right paperwork so that you know they are meeting the industry standards.
- Member of an industry association – There are several associations they might be a member of and that is a good thing as they have strict criteria for a business to join.
- Good reviews – Check that they have a good reputation and that the reviews online are generally positive. You can also check with people you know about their recommendations.
- No hidden costs – Make sure they are honest about costs and how long the treatment will take.
- Experience – Look for a recognised pest control company that has some experience. They will be better at problem-solving and be more established so you can better trust them.